The first stage of recovery at all alcohol treatment centers is detox. This process is necessary to fully free your body from alcohol so it can begin to heal and restore your brain and body back to the state it was in before you started using.
You can detox in a separate facility or at home (not recommended for medical safety reasons) but the very best alcohol treatment centers will also offer onsite detox programs. These facilities are staffed with medical professionals that are accustomed to guiding people through the alcohol detox process. Medication may be prescribed to mitigate the pain of withdrawal.
Advantages to recovering in onsite detox alcohol treatment centers include –
• Having doctors and staff closely monitor your health as the alcohol leaves your body to help head off any medical emergencies or complications.
• Being given a special diet complete with nutritious foods, herbal supplements and nutrients to help correct physical imbalance and make recovery easier.
• The alcoholic ahs someone to talk to and confide in without embarrassment if he or she cannot handle the symptoms.
• Being able to talk to other patients who are going through the same thing in a safe, trusting environment.
• Never being stuck in an overwhelming mental or physical space that has you feeling suicidal because of extreme withdrawal symptoms.
Finally the best thing about onsite detox alcohol treatment centers is that the patient is not tossed around from facility to facility. There is continuity of both medical charting and personnel from detoxification to recovery processes. You get to know your doctors and therapists on a first name basis which helps you build trust and confidence in the idea that you can recover. The best of the onsite detox alcohol treatment centers will have an attentive, seamless process like this that leads you safely from the detoxification process and then into recovery and counselling.