One of the backbones of alcohol treatment centers is counseling. You can successfully go through alcohol detox but if you do not also have therapeutic counseling as well you are at a greater risk for relapse. This is because it is the counseling therapies in alcohol treatment centers that address the root causes that caused the behavior in the first place.
When investigating alcohol treatment centers be sure to look for a comprehensive treatment plan that includes both a well supervised physical detox regimen as wall as counseling. Often the roots of alcoholism lie in negative and false beliefs about the self, child abuse, sexual abuse, fears and a broken heart. Some alcoholics are also dual diagnosis patients which means a very real psychiatric illness such as manic-depression or schizophrenia might also be at the bottom of their desire to abuse alcohol.
- The benefits of counseling at alcohol treatment centers include –
- The opportunity to emotionally heal from broken relationships, conflicts with others and heartbreak.
- The chance to learn how to be mature and accountable for one’s action and take steps to correct problems that in turn boost the person’s self-esteem
- The chance to increase the alcoholic’s awareness and perspective of how the disease works
- The opportunity to receive real coping skills and tools for living that can help them recover from a relapse
- The benefit of having a medical professional monitor and gauge the person’s progress on a charted timeline so that no time is wasted on the wrong sorts of therapies or treatments
Ultimately the goal of alcohol treatment centers is to achieve long lasting sobriety and this is what therapy can achieve. Anyone can detox and then go out and use drugs again. Therapy stops that.
Most of all great therapy at alcohol treatment centers has taught alcoholics how to think for themselves and take over the management of their own recovery once they are out of rehab.